In other news, I really dislike it when I don't keep up with this blog. It always happens when life is busy, and I'm hurrying right along, and I THINK about blogging but I just never quite make it to the computer. And inevitably those busy times would be the BEST things to blog about...and somehow I end up jamming it all into a long blog post that nonetheless fails to capture the rhythm of our everyday life.Ah, the perils of blogging. Or failing to blog.
Anyway, long story short, we've been Busy. With a capital B. Tim thought his second year would be a lot better than his intern year. Yeah, no. Not at all. He is crazy Busy. As in, we don't really see him much. For example, he was on call yesterday. He got home around 5:30 today, exhausted after work, class, and lecture, made a valiant effort to be sociable with Addie and I, and fell into bed at 9:30. And he is on call again tomorrow. Needless to say, this is hard on all of us.
However, the great blessing of Mayo Ortho is that Addie and I aren't ever really alone, even when Tim is consumed by research and class and trauma service. We have our friends. And believe me, we need them. And I certainly appreciate them. I'm not sure Adelaide is there yet but she's starting to get it ;-)
I haven't had a great group of girlfriends since college. I've had great friends that I miss even now, but not a collection of like minded people that love spending time together. But now I do. And a year into this phase of our lives, we're totally bonded. We text parenting dilemmas and frantic requests for last minute babysitting or "emergency" park meetings for badly needed adult conversations. We share the must have baby equipment and we rummage through each others' kitchens with ease. We have an ever shifting current of binkies, bibs, toys, sippy cups, rice crackers, teething biscuits, and germs floating freely between our houses. We vent about "single yet married" parenthood, groan with envy over much anticipated vacations, and rejoice in our kids and husbands. We laugh. A lot. We interrupt each other constantly. Explaining anything takes forever. But somehow all the important stuff is said. And we laugh a lot. It's a good thing. A great thing, really. Anyway, that's the only quasi deep thing on my mind.
On to the stuff we've been Busy with....
Hiking. On one of Tim's rare afternoons off, we went down to Whitewater State Park. It was wonderful to get outside and stretch our legs. And Addie was a wonderful hiker. We were so proud.
Here's Addie in her little pack, getting ready to go on the trail.
Love this one. She's so contemplative, and Tim is so happy and totally in his element.
Crossing the stream
And Aunt Bonnie's visit! She's home from Spain and we're so happy to have her back.
Here Bonnie and Addie are talking to Mimi and Big Steve via Skype. Ah, grandparenting in the 21st century.
And there's more stuff to catch up with, but my eyes are drooping despite my delicious glass of sweet tea. So, I'll leave you with these videos of Addie from the hike.
In the first, she is just hanging out in her pack. You can see how relaxed and mellow she is. This is a rare thing, because "mellow" is not a word that springs to mind when you consider Miss A.
This is after the hike. She's eating a banana from the peel for the first time. She loves bananas, but has only ever had them mashed up until this moment. She decided she liked it, as you'll see.
1 comment:
I can't believe a)how big/old she's gotten already and b)how BEAUTIFUL she is. Love you!!!
Post a Comment